Applying for green card

1.You may be eligible to apply for a Green Card (adjustment of status/permanent residence) if you meet certain requirements, including:

1)You have been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of at least three years while in U non-immigrant status, and
2) You have not unreasonably refused to provide assistance to law enforcement since you received your U visa.

PLEASE NOTE: Any qualifying family member who does not have a derivative U visa when the principal U non-immigrant receives a Green Card is no longer eligible for a derivative U visa, but may still be eligible to apply for lawful permanent residence.

2. Before the expiration of the U visa, you must submit -485. Before I-485 is approved, the U visa status will be automatically extended. (If you fail to submit I-485 , the U visa can not be extended after expiration unless the police or prosecutor who signs the I-918B form can prove that the criminal case has not been solved and still need your help to investigate the case, so that the U visa can be extended.)

Note:After admission into the United States as a derivative U non-immigrant, derivative status may be extended beyond the expiration of the principal U non-immigrant’s status to ensure the derivative will accrue at least three years in U non-immigrant status for purposes of adjusting status.

3. U visa holders will not be able to apply for AOS or obtain a green card under the following circumstances:

1) If the U visa is revoked;
2) Unless consent is obtained, no application can be made if a single departure from the United States lasts more than 90 days or a total of more than 180 days.