F Visa

What is F-1 Visa?

An F1 visa is a non-immigrant visa for those wishing to study in the U.S. You must file an F1 visa application if you plan on entering the US to attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, language training program, or other academic institution.

  • Requirements for an F-1 Visa:
  1. Foreign residence:Have a foreign residence and have no intention of abandoning it;
  2. Be a bona fide student Be a bona fide student that have the ability and sincerity to study in the United States
  3. Enter the U.S. as a student temporarily:Entering the United States for a short period of study
  4. Schools which approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement: Foreign students can only study at schools approved by ICE in compliance with the SEVIS program
  5. Student must not attend a public elementary school or publicly funded adult education program.
  6. Student will not attend a public secondary school unless he/she attends the secondary school for a period less than 12 months and demonstrated that he/she has reimbursed the school board the full, unsubsidized cost of the education.[INA 214(m)(1)].
  7. Get I-20 and Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.
  8. Prove financial eligibility.
  9. Students must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  10. Have strong ties to your home country and intend to go home after your educational program ends.
  11. Students must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  12. Spouses of foreign students are not allowed to go to school unless they change status to F-1, J-1, or M-1. For more information, see F-1, J-1, and M-1