IR-5: Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old

The IR5 visa is the US visa for parents US citizens who are at least 21 years old. Under the IR-5 visa, the U.S. citizen is also able to sponsor a step-parent if the marriage occurred before the child turned 18 years old or an adoptive parent if the adoption occurred before the child turned 16 years old.

The applicant shall meet the following requirements:

1.The U.S. citizen must be 21 years old.

2.The U.S. citizen must be able to demonstrate that they have enough income or assets to support the immigrants they are sponsoring.

The application process


Preliminary assessment

Potential clients will receive the result in one business day.


Sign the agreement and prepare the materials.

Time for preparation: 15 days to 1 months.


Submit all the materials to USCIS.


Receive the receipt notice.


Situation 1: I-130 is approved by USCIS.

Situation 2: I-130 is denied by USCIS.

Situation 3: Request for Evidence. The response must be received by USCIS within 89 days.


Situation 1: In the United States, the clients can submit I-485 application.If the beneficiary stays in the United States, she/he should have legal status, such as H-1B, F-1 visa.

Situation 2: Outside the United States, the clients pay NVC filing fee, submit DS-260, notarization and other materials to the National Visa Center

Step 7:

Wait for an interview notice from USCIS(I-485) or the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou (CP). If visa is not available, the client needs to wait. Note: Please provide DS-230 and I-864.

Step 8:

Check-up, interview and obtain an immigration visa.

Step 9:

If there is an administrative process, please ask an attorney to submit an inquiry.

  • Document list

I-130 Document list

1.I-130 Form

2.Petitioner, U.S. citizen

1)Proof of US citizenship with copy of birth certificate

2)copy of US passport

3)copy of citizenship naturalization certificate

4)Marriage and relationship documents or A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees if either you or your fiancé(e) have been previously married

5)Passport photos, 2″x2″ full face color

6)information changed by Petitioner, such as copies of certificates of former names

3.Proof of family relationship

1)Birth registration documents of U.S citizen

2)Other Proof of family relationship

I-485 document list

1.certificate of non-criminal record of child(fill in truthfully if there is a criminal record)

2.copy of birth certificate of child

3.recent color photos

4.copy of passport


6.other valid documents of child(such as legal status in the United States)

7.I-693 physical examination report of child

I-864 financial support document list certificate or income certificate of U.S. citizen

2.payroll of US citizens for the past three months

3.U.S. citizens’ tax returns for the past three years (W-2)

4.copy of SSN

5.copy of driver’s license