IR-2: Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen

The IR2 visa is a US immediate relative visa for unmarried children under 21 years old of a US citizen.

The CR1 visa is an analogue of the IR1 visa, which can be issued to the spouse of a US citizen if their marriage exists less than two years. CR2 Visa can be issued to child of U.S citizen.

You cannot apply for CR1/IR1 and CR2/IR2 at the same time. You must apply for CR2/IR2 visa for your child separately.

The applicant shall meet the following requirements:

1.For a child to qualify as a stepchild, the marriage would need to have taken place before the child’s 18th birthday.

2.Under 21 years old and unmarried.

3.The adoption took place before the child’s 16th.

4.Has been living with adoptive U.S citizen parents for at least 2 years.

The application process


Preliminary assessment

Potential clients will receive the result in one business day.


Sign the agreement and prepare the materials.

Time for preparation: 15 days to 1 months.


Submit all the materials to USCIS.


Receive the receipt notice.


Situation 1: I-130 is approved by USCIS.

Situation 2: I-130 is denied by USCIS.

Situation 3: Request for Evidence. The response must be received by USCIS within 89 days.


Situation 1: In the United States, the clients can submit I-485 application.If the beneficiary stays in the United States, she/he should have legal status, such as H-1B, F-1 visa.

Situation 2: Outside the United States, the clients pay NVC filing fee, submit DS-260, notarization and other materials to the National Visa Center

Step 7:

Wait for an interview notice from USCIS(I-485) or the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou (CP). If visa is not available, the client needs to wait. Note: Please provide DS-230 and I-864.

Step 8:

Check-up, interview and obtain an immigration visa.

Step 9:

If there is an administrative process, please ask an attorney to submit an inquiry.

  • Document list

I-130 Document list

1.I-130 Form

2.Petitioner, U.S. citizen

1). Proof of US citizenship with copy of birth certificate

2). copy of US passport

3). copy of citizenship naturalization certificate

4). Marriage and relationship documents or A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees if either you or your fiancé(e) have been previously married

5). Passport photos, 2″x2″ full face color

6). information changed by Petitioner, such as copies of certificates of former names

3.Proof of family relationship

1). Marriage and relationship documents

2). Birth registration documents

3). Other documents for raising children: such as proof of financial support

4). if the child is born out of wedlock, the parent-child relationship documents recognized by law, such as parent-child identification report, shall be provided.

5). If the petitioner is adoptive parent, they need to provide: copies of the birth certificate of the beneficiary; proof of the death, divorce or abandonment of custody of their parents by blood

6). If the petitioner is stepparent, they need to provide: the copy of the beneficiary’s birth certificate; the adoption certificate; the court’s ruling that the legal guardianship has been for 2 years; the court’s ruling that the physical guardianship has been for 2 years.

I-485 document list

1.certificate of non-criminal record of child(fill in truthfully if there is a criminal record)

2.copy of birth certificate of child

3.recent color photos

4.copy of passport


6.other valid documents of child(such as legal status in the United States)

7.I-693 physical examination report of child

I-864 financial support document list certificate or income certificate of U.S. citizen

2.payroll of US citizens for the past three months

3.U.S. citizens’ tax returns for the past three years (W-2)

4.copy of SSN

5.copy of driver’s license