F-1 On-Campus Employment

  • a. Work in school: According to the law, F-1 students can only work in school when they study abroad in the first year, but can not work outside the school.
  • b. After the first year of studying abroad, F-1 students can start working outside school. If the Designated school officials (DSO) determines that:
    Serious financial difficulties caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of students;
    Published in the Federal Registry due to serious economic difficulties or political and economic instability; (for example, students in Haiti and Syria);
    Internship opportunities for international organizations.
  • Professional attorney analysis: Off-campus work refers not to F-1 CPT but to normal work, which does not occupy CPT time.